Thursday 7 June 2007

Eastbourne Handyman - Trustworthy Reliable Inexpensive

I was talking to a couple of trade guys today who'd moved down to Eastbourne last year and are finding it hard to get new business.
I was staggered!
Eastbourne, like everywhere else in the UK, is awash with people looking to have jobs done. I decided when I came down here five years ago to concentrate on the small jobs. These guys were looking for large jobs - perhaps that's the difference. When I go into new customers, I often hear the same phrase - "It's so difficult to find someone who will do these small jobs." The funny thing is the small jobs often develop into very large jobs.
Admittedly, most of my work, nowadays, comes from recommendations and repeat business. But I follow a simple method - I solve people's problems. Generally, people don't want to know how difficult a job is, they just want the job done. If I can't, or choose not to do a job, I always know someone who can. Everybody comes to know that Jim solves problems. That's it in a nutshell.
Several years ago a man whom I greatly admired advised me "Don't work with people you don't like -life is too short" "If people are unpleasant or aggressive when you first meet them - don't go back for second helpings - time is unlikely to improve their manners." "Be trustworthy" (NEVER cheat). "Be reliable" (admittedly, my timekeeping was up the Swanee for a couple of weeks this year) and "Be good value for money" (charge a fair rate for the job and don't "load" on the materials). I follow those mottos and it seems to stand me in good stead.

No comments: