Wednesday 11 July 2007

Change a euro cylinder fitted into a lock

This morning I was a carpenter and plumber.
First I had to hang a door and then put up some shelves, and then I had to fit a new cistern in a downstairs cloakroom.

At the next call I had to change a euro cylinder in a patio door.
Many eurolocks are relatively simple to change, however it does depend on the design of the lock but the procedure for removal of a typical mortice lock in a door would be as follows:
Locate the screw which retains the cylinder (this will normally be approximately level with the bottom edge of the cylinder).
Remove the retaining screw.
Insert the key into the cylinder and turn the key around to line up the cam and enable the cylinder to be removed. It is not normally possible to change a cylinder with an offset cam when the keys have been lost. In these circumstances the cylinder may have to be drilled and the unless you know what you are doing I would suggest you give me a call.
The procedure outlined above may vary with some locks but the method is likely to be similar.
To install a new cylinder reverse the above directions.
If you don't wan't to do it yourself give me a call on 07930 335 937

No comments: