Tuesday 17 July 2007

What senior citizens are worth?

I have a very dear friend called Zena Parker. She's in the late summer evening of her life. She has every imaginable thing wrong with her, would be bed-ridden if she could manage to get into it, but despite all that she is STILL an absolute powerhouse of an 80 year old.
She never complains, never. I tell you this because I popped into see her on my rounds today, and she gave me this little poem/verse/prose (can someone explain to me the difference). It has nothing to do with handyman things, it's just a bit of fun.

We old folk are worth a fortune!
We’ve silver in our hair,
Gold in our teeth,
Stones in our kidneys,
Lead in our feet,
and gas in our stomachs!

I’ve become older since last I saw you,
and a few changes have come into my life.
Frankly, I’ve become a frivolous old woman.
I’m seeing six gentlemen every day!

As soon as I wake up Will Power helps me out of bed, then I go and see Jimmy Riddle and then it's time for breakfast with Mr. Kellogg followed closely by the refreshing company of Mr.Tetley or my other friend who I know only by his initials PG!

Then there’s someone I don't like at all - Arthur Itis. He knows he’s not to come, but he insists on being there, and what’s more, he stays all day and night. He doesn't like to stay in one place, so he moves me from joint to joint.


I’m also flirting with Al Zheimer -- I’d tell you more but I can't remember much about him! After such a hectic day, I’m always glad to get into bed with Johnny Walker

The Vicar came to call the other day and said at my age I should be thinking of the hereafter. So I told him I did, all the time, for no matter where I am -- the bedroom, the kitchen the sitting room or even in the garden, I ask myself,
" Now what am I here after "

Well I'll close now and hope that Will Power is your constant companion but do make sure that his friend Emma Royd doesn’t creep up on you from behind! And do watch for that crafty crafty so and so, Gerry Attric....


Bye for now Anonymous

No comments: