Wednesday 10 October 2007

Washing Line "Designer" ware

I was asked to put up a new washing line by a customer the other day.

Rotary dryer
When I first saw it, I was impressed.
It's nicely packaged.
The concept is, at first glance, great.
It has a neat appearance
The quality appears to be good
I would imagine that for anybody who has only a small amount of space available to dry clothes on it would seem ideal.

Here are a few things that came to mind as I was fitting it.
1. Fitting is simple but unnecessarily fiddly.
2. Most outside walls I've come across are rough - in a moderate breeze anything larger than a set of ladies undies are likely to be scraping against the wall. A man's shirt, or a ladies dress would almost certainly be slapping against the wall. The maximum distance from wall to end of dryer is 6' (pic 1).
3. It folds away to a small size (pic 2). The rain cover is held on by two press studs (pic 3). I wonder how many fingers are going to be scraped on the wall getting the cover on and off.
4. The release mechanism (pic 4) to close it up will at some point snare a finger or two.
5. My understanding of a rotary dryer is that it spins - this dryer doesn't, so I don't understand why it's termed a ROTARY dryer.


"Powder and paint, makes the thing what it ain't" is a phrase my father used to use to describe a lot of things. I wonder if he would have used it in this case.

No comments: