Tuesday 19 January 2010

Computer Help, Leaky taps, Bathroom Heater





It's been a day of many talents today. One of the things I did was show a lady how to set up a blog. Easy when you know how, but daunting when she'd only just started using a computer in the last two months.. Basic computer lessons and home computer help is something I've been doing for quite a number of years. In a previous life (I've had so many!) I used to train people for a living. I don't have the educational qualifications to be a teacher, but many people tell me that I'm a very good trainer. I've found that if you concentrate on getting the basics, the fundamentals, right, the rest is a lot simpler. She was an avid traditional diarist, and wanted to start doing the same on her new computer. She'd tried a computer help forum  but only got more confused (Hey, that's happened to me too) Blog help was what she wanted, and so blog help is what she got.
After an hour she was flying solo, and so I was free to go on my way to the next call.

Which was - you guessed it - a leaky tap. Dripping taps are so annoying, and yet so easy to fix - most of the time. This one was not to be ignored. It wasn't dripping. It was pouring.
Imagine a Victorian mansion, sub-divided into flats. Over the years so many alterations have been made to the property that Stop Cocks are buried under many layers of remodelling. In other words - not to be found.
As the water pressure was so low I decided to do it "live". Open the taps in the flat to reduce the flow even further. Take the tap head off. Undo the barrel. Change the washer. Reverse the order. Hey Presto! Job done. WARNING! Don't do this unless you know what you're doing. Because it can go wrong. And then you need to know what to do next. Leaky pipes. Non flushing cisterns. Fitting bathroom heaters. Changing bannisters on the stairs, and helping people with Technology. It's all in a days work for the Eastbourne Handyman.

Here is a resource you may find useful if you have a good background knowledge of  using a computer. Some lessons get a bit to technical for the majority of users, but it's a very good place to start.
Share/Bookmark

No comments: