Friday 16 February 2007

Enthusiasm

I'm a Quaker, and I love to watch boxing! Yes, I know that Quakers are supposed to be all peace and deep thinking, but if that's true, then I suppose I'm a poor Quaker. Anyway, the reason for me telling you that is because today, I was working in a house in Hampden Park putting up surround sound speakers. Not exactly taxing work, but work none the less. Both father and son are keen sports fans. The son is a martial arts expert, and the father an ex-boxer. The father, who is now a pensioner, was watching a boxing match on the television. It was a re-run of a 90's middleweight match between Sugar Boy Malinga and Nigel Benn. I used to love to watch Nigel Benn box because he was such a powerhouse. His fights against Chris Eubanks were spectacular. He attacked each fight with boundless enthusiasm. I was a huge fan of his.
While watching the match the father told me that he'd been a boxing contender in his youth, and wanted to pursue a professional career but was told that starting boxing at 22, he was already too old to have a real chance, and so he married his wife instead. It's amazing how a chance remark like that, can affect what we do in life. The remark changed the course of that man's life. He stopped pursuing his career in the ring, but to this day, still retains the enthusiasm for boxing after all these years.
It occurred to me afterwards, that seemingly inconsequential remarks have altered my life, often for the worse, but also, sometimes for the better. But whatever direction I took, I took it with enthusiasm. What chance remarks have altered your life? Have you lived your life adventurously?
I have no idea what Nigel Benn is up to nowadays, but I am sure that whatever it is, he will be as enthusiastic about it as he was then.
To this day I attack everything with enthusiasm. It's the only way for me to be.

No comments: