Monday 22 January 2007

Multiple Sclerosis


This morning I had to do a few simple jobs for a young man in the prime of his life. I don't think he is yet 30.

A bit of polyfilla in a couple of small holes. Replace a broken tile. Add some silicone around the worktop. All very minor tasks. Minor, that is, for me. This man is in the throes of full blown MS.

I have no idea what he is feeling. Do you think he might be morose, sullen, rude, arrogant, spiteful, condescending, insincere, or out to take advantage, as so many people appear to be? No. This young man - THIS MAN - is none of these things. His movements are very limited. He appears to struggle with every movement he makes. His speech is slurred. He has to consider every word he utters. He has no privacy. He has to allow strangers to do even the simplest of private and personal acts for him. But despite all that he is friendly, polite, thoughtful, gracious and kind. He retains his dignity.

Anyone can be objectionable towards others- and many are - there's no skill or art in being objectionable - it's evident in all aspects of race, creed, class, education, and intelligence.

But it makes the perpetrator a very pitiful individual.

As I left that man today he thanked me - he didn't just say "thank you" - he meant it.

He has my utter respect. I cannot begin to know what he feels. All I know is, "that there but for the grace of God go I" and I feel humble.

No comments: